Search This Blog

Friday, April 26, 2013

ARRGHHH!!!

I hate being disappointed.

Disappointed plans are probably what tick me off the most, and I have a really hard time redirecting my attitude when life doesn't follow the carefully constructed plan I charted.

Why don't things always go the way I have imagined?

I could wax eloquent right now about how I may have been late for this or that because God was protecting me from a car accident, blah, blah, blah. But I am not going to do that.

Instead, I am going to be thankful for the constant hope I experience for my plans to come to fruition. Anticipation and expectancy involve a certain amount of risk: I risk that my plans will be disappointed. But the alternative--expecting and anticipating nothing--seems unendurable.

Perhaps, as C. S. Lewis writes in Mere Christianity, humans are designed to hope. If I close myself off by not hoping for anything because I am trying to protect myself from disappointment, I am a miserable fool.

Therefore, I will dust off my disappointment and make plans for tomorrow that will probably not live up to my expectations: get all of my housework caught up from the busy week, get the front yard looking presentable, bake some cookies, make an appearance at the Dogwood Festival, study for my lessons next week, and read for enjoyment.

Yeah, that's not all going to happen.

But my ideal Saturday would end up that way, and I am not going to stop making plans just because I want to ward off disappointment.

I will work on having more realistic expectations, though. :)

--Bekah

No comments:

Post a Comment